A New York City mother-of-two has suffered fatal injuries after passing out behind the wheel of her car, caused by a botched plastic surgery operation that she had done while traveling abroad in the Dominican Republic.
Janelle Edwards, 25, was a mother and a hospital worker before she decided to travel and get a breast enhancement, tummy tuck and buttock implants at an unnamed clinic in Santo Domingo, in the Dominican Republic.
Doctors say that traveling abroad to receive plastic surgery is an increasing trend, as prices in the US are high for these operations. What women fail to realize is that any surgery is invasive, and other countries are not known for their medical treatments.
The Daily Mail reports:
Police sources told the news outlet that an initial autopsy had proved inconclusive but a doctor had told detectives a blood clot caused by the surgeries was to blame.
Ms Edwards’ death comes amid warnings over the dangers of receiving plastic surgery abroad, where prices can be significantly cheaper than the US.
Family members said Ms Edwards, whose daughters are believed to be aged seven and one, complained of stomach pain following the operations.
Her sister Samantha Edwards also told the Daily News she believed her sister had died as a result of the operations.
Concerns about the booming cosmetic surgery business in the Dominican Republic are enough of an issue that the State Department has posted a warning on its page for travel to the country.
In several cases U.S. citizens have suffered serious complications or died as a result of procedures they underwent.
In March 2014 the U.S. Centers for Disease Control issued an alert after health authorities in the United States reported that at least 19 women in five states had developed serious mycobacterial wound infections over the previous 12 months following cosmetic procedures in the Dominican Republic such as liposuction, tummy tucks and breast implants.
There were no reported deaths in those cases, but treatment for these types of infections, which have been caused in the past by contaminated medical equipment, tend to involve long courses of antibiotics and can require new surgery to remove infected tissue and drain fluid.