A woman who was burned by her Starbucks coffee because of a defect in the lid has been awarded $100,00 by a jury. Joanne Mogavero suffered first and second degree burns after the lid on her coffee popped off, sending the scalding liquid shooting into her lap.
She was at a Starbucks drive through in 2014 when she received her coffee, and as she was passing it over the front seat, the lid suddenly popped off, and the liquid caused her to get severe burns. She had to take time off work, and suffered permanent scarring on her legs as a result of the incident.
The Daily Mail reports:
The 43-year-old mom was at a Starbucks drive-thru in July 2014 when she ordered the Venti Pike’s Place coffee.
As she passed the coffee to the passenger’s seat the lid suddenly came off sending the 190-degree beverage all over her.
She suffered permanent scarring as a result.
The jury awarded Mogavero $15,000 for her medical bills and an additional $85,000 for her pain and suffering.
Mogavero’s attorney argued that Starbucks should warn its customers that the lids can pop off.
According to the statement, a Starbucks representative testified during the trial that the coffee company receives 80 complaints a month about issues with lids popping off or leaking.
‘My client didn’t want sympathy from the jury — she wanted justice — and the jury gave it to her with its verdict,’ her lawyer, Steve Earle said.