While Barack Obama and his spokespeople claim that the president has no such powers to tap people’s phones, Wikileaks actually released a list last year of different politicians and companies wire tapped by Obama and his administration.
According to Wikileaks:
“WikiLeaks publishes highly classified documents showing that the US National Security Agency bugged a private climate change strategy meeting;”
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon and German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin
- Chief of Staff of UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) for long term interception targetting his Swiss phone
- Director of the Rules Division of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), Johann Human, and targetted his Swiss phone for long term interception
- stole sensitive Italian diplomatic cables detailing how Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu implored Italy’s Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to help patch up his relationship with US President Barack Obama, who was refusing to talk to Netanyahu
- Intercepted top EU and Japanese trade ministers discussing their secret strategy and red lines to stop the US “extort[ing]” them at the WTO Doha arounds (the talks subsequently collapsed);
- Explicitly targeted five other top EU economic officials for long term interception, including their French, Austrian and Belgium phone numbers
- Explicitly targetted the phones of Italy’s ambassador to NATO and other top Italian officials for long term interception
- Intercepted details of a critical private meeting between then French president Nicolas Sarkozy, Merkel and Berluscon, where the latter was told the Italian banking system was ready to “pop like a cork”.
This is, of course, not a full list of all the people the Obama administration has been allowed to wiretap. It is also widely known that the Obama Justice Department bugged many journalists during their time. James Rosen, a Fox news reporter was skyrocketted to fame when it turned out the Obama administration had been tapping his phones and keeping tabs on him and his family, “as a potential crime in a probe of classified leaks”.
The Gateway Pundit reports:
In addition to the above list we also know now that Obama wire tapped various individuals in the US media that were reporting information not flattering to the Obama Administration. It is widely known that Obama’s Justice Department targeted journalists with wiretaps in 2013:
* In 2013 the liberal Washington Post expressed outrage after the revelation that the Justice Department had investigated the newsgathering activities of a Fox News reporter as a potential crime in a probe of classified leaks. The reporter, Fox News’ James Rosen and his family, were part of an investigation into government officials anonymously leaking information to journalists. Rosen was not charged but his movements and actions were tracked.
* Also in 2013, members of the Associated Press were also a target of the surveillance. The ultra liberal New Yorker even noted that “In moderate and liberal circles, at least, the phone-records scandal, partly because it involves the dear old A.P. and partly because it raises anew the specter of Big Brother, may well present the most serious threat to Obama’s reputation.”
* Reporter Sharyl Attkisson said in 2014 that her personal computer and CBS laptop were hacked after she began filing stories about Benghazi that were unflattering to the Obama administration. A source who checked her laptop said the hacker used spyware “proprietary to a government agency,” according to an article in the New York Post.