A simple trip to visit family turned into a nightmare for one Canadian mom. She had left her 14-month-old’s skin cream at home, and wishing to protect the baby’s skin from the sun, the mom used a popular product. Banana Boat sunscreen was applied to the child’s face.
Immediately, the baby’s face began to swell up and turn red. The sunscreen actually gave the child burns on her face. Now, the mom is warning other parents to be really careful about what you put on your child’s skin: always do a patch-test first and make sure there’s no allergic reaction. Start with a small spot (not on the face, usually the neck) and if the child doesn’t react, usually its good to go.
The Daily Mail has more on this story:
An innocuous trip turned into a weeks-long ordeal for a Canadian mom when her daughter’s face broke out in frightening blisters after using sunscreen.
Rebecca Cannon, of Newfoundland had left her own sunscreen at home when she traveled to her sister’s home in the province with her 14-month-old daughter, Kyla.
Though the weather was overcast, she decided to protect young Kyla’s skin by using a bottle of Banana Boat spray – with horrific results, TODAY reported.
‘When it came to having sunscreen on, I thought it was better to have some sunscreen than none at all,’ Cannon said.
But soon after she gently rubbed the Banana Boat Kids Sunscreen Spray SPF 50 into Kyla’s nose and cheeks, the girl’s face became red and swollen.
And then it got worse.
Her skin turned red, and blistered. It scabbed and cracked. Kyla’s rosy cheeks were marked by nasty swathes of orange scab tissue. Her blue eyes were swollen shut.
She was diagnosed with second-degree burns, despite the overcast weather, being swaddled in clothing and nobody else being affected. The culprit seemed obvious.
‘She was the only one who had the sunscreen on and she is the only one who burned,’ Cannon said.
After repeated visits to the hospital that only left the girl’s face redder and more swollen, a dermatologist said the usually happy little toddler had suffered ‘caustic burn from something in the sunscreen’.
Kyla’s misfortune came two weeks ago; today the blisters have healed – but her cheeks are still a livid pink on the areas where she was burned.
Cannon was offered a refund by Banana Boat, which has taken the screen for testing. She will also have an independent test performed.
Banana Boat said in a statement: ‘All Banana Boat products undergo rigorous testing to ensure they are appropriately labeled and meet all relevant health regulations, including SPF tests.
‘All Banana Boat sunscreens also fall within a neutral PH range, which means they are safe for human skin, topical use, and cannot cause chemical burns, which are sometimes mistakenly linked to personal care products or confused with sunburns, or tissue damage.’
Dr Adam Friedman, who was not involved in Kyla’s treatment, told TODAY that her painful blisters were likely caused by irritant contact dermatitis.
That can be caused by contact with substances as innocuous-sounding as vitamin C and alcohol, both of which can be found in sunscreen.
The Banana Boat sunscreen is labeled as being safe for kids six months and up, but Friedman suggests an alternative for kids until they reach around four or five years of age.
‘There are specific sunscreens for different ages because there are unique biological differences at different ages,’ he said. ‘Infant skin is much more irritable.’
He suggests mineral block sunscreens, which contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, until a child is older.