A California mother is raising awareness through the media after she took her 3-year-old daughter to the dentist, and within a half hour she was told her daughter was dead. Araceli Avila is demanding answers to why the child died when she was perfectly healthy and energetic right before the procedure.
Daleyza Avila-Hernandez, 3, died on Monday in Stockton, California at the Children’s Dental Surgery Center while they were doing a procedure to remove two teeth, and cap two other teeth.
Photos taken in the waiting room right before the incident show a happy, healthy child.
The Daily Mail reports:
Avila had taken Daleyza in for surgery after the girl’s dentist recommended it, she said.
Daleyza had been undergoing the procedure for about half an hour when an ambulance arrived.
That suggestion outraged Avila, who says Daleyza was perfectly healthy.
The Stockton Police Department is investigating the death, but says that at this time it isn’t considered suspicious or a criminal case.
An estimated 6million children undergo general anesthesia in the US every year, according to the British Journal of Anesthesia.
As with adults, anesthesia is never without risk, though some fear that children may be more susceptible to ill effects.
In March, four-year-old Mykel Peterson died under anesthesia for a dental procedure in Vancouver, Washington.
Last year in Texas, the death of one-year-old Daisy Lynne Torres under anesthesia for cavity fillings sparked outrage when an autopsy determined that the procedure was completely unnecessary.