NY Daily News reported Monday that President Trump quietly signed an executive order banning travelers again. This time, the order calls for a ban on travel from six different Muslim-majority countries. He has also suspended all new refugee visas.
Trump hopes that his new travel ban executive order withstands the expected court battle this time. His original travel ban was stumped by the courts.
The Don’s new ban goes into effect on March 16. It basically has the same structure as the first one. He’s made a mad rush to put that one into place on January 27. US courts quickly suspended it.
According to a NY Daily News report:
But it doesn’t include some of the most controversial and unworkable parts of the original executive order.
Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said the new ban would “make America more secure and address long-overdue concerns about the security of our immigration system.”
“We must undertake a rigorous review of our visa and refugee vetting programs to increase our confidence in the decisions we make,” he said.
Notably, Trump didn’t hold a public signing of the latest ban and while Kelly and other cabinet secretaries briefed the press they refused to take any questions, moves seemingly aimed at minimizing coverage of the administration’s original ban’s bungled rollout and keep the focus on the new ban rather than distracting questions about Russia.
The rapid, uncoordinated implementation of the initial ban caused chaos around the country, and that and court orders blocking its implementation and questioning its constitutionality caused frustration and embarrassment for the White House. The new ban addresses many of the destabilizing implementation issues, but faces the same underlying questions about whether it intentionally discriminates against Muslims and actually helps increase national security.
The new executive order’s key provisions remain largely the same: A 90 day ban on travelers from six countries who did not obtain a visa before Jan. 27, a 120 day suspension on the country’s entire refugee entry program, and a dramatic curtailing in the number of overall refugees from 110,000 last year to 50,000 in this year.
But the administration made some significant changes in the new executive order to satisfy the courts, and revoked the original ban even as administration officials continue to insist that it was constitutional.