The horrifying story of a kidnapped 14-year-old girl who was gang raped in a Facebook live video prompted a police search for the suspects involved, who were all likely under age as well.
The story gets worse when the victim’s mother realized that her daughter’s rape had more than 40 views, yet no one had called the police. Then, the girl’s identity was outed despite her young age, and her young school mates have decided to bully her for the video.
Now, police have finally arrested one of the suspects, and identified a second suspect, who they are searching for in order to make a second arrest. One 14-year-old boy was already arrested, and the new suspect they are looking for is a 15-year-old boy.
The Daily Mail has the rest:
Chicago police are seeking the arrest of a second boy, 15, in connection the sexual assault of a 15-year-old girl that was streamed live on Facebook.
A 14-year-old boy was arrested on Saturday night for the gang rape which was watched by at least 40 viewers on the social media site.
‘We were able to identify two of these offenders and secure arrest warrants for them,’ said Chicago Police Department Area Central Commander Deenihan at a press conference that was streamed on Facebook Sunday morning.
There are two arrest warrants issued so far and Detective Deenihan did not disclose the exact number of additional offenders.
Detective Deenihan said the victim is having a difficult time coping with the traumatic assault.
He said: ‘We obviously have a video of the incident, so we have verifiable objective evidence of what occurred to this young lady, but she’s just having a very difficult time.’
Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a press release Saturday that the 14-year-old juvenile suspect faces felony charges of aggravated criminal sexual assault, manufacturing of child pornography and dissemination of child pornography.
‘Additional arrests are expected as the investigation continues,’ Guglielmi said.
‘BREAKING – Tonight, CPD arrested 1st of several juvenile offenders in Facebook sexual assault incident,’ he tweeted.
The alleged incident occurred in mid-March.
Guglielmi has said police were not aware of the attack until the girl’s mother approached Johnson as he was leaving a police station on the city’s West Side and showed him the video.
Guglielmi said Johnson was ‘visibly upset’ after he watched, both by the video’s content and the fact that there were ’40 or so live viewers and no one thought to call authorities’.
Police have said the attack involved five or six males.