North Korea launched four ballistic missiles on Monday. Experts are saying that North Korea is up to its old antics in that this launch is similar to the one they were reprimanded for conducting last year. Three of these missiles landed in Japan’s exclusive economic zone in the Sea of Japan, which may have damaged ships or aircraft in the area, although no immediate reports have been released. Yoshida Suga, a top Japanese governmental spokesman, held a news conference in Tokyo and said that this new missile launch has sprung North Korea into a new level of threat for national security. In response to this missile launch, it is likely that South Korea is going to petition the U.N. and other organizations to further isolate North Korea. This petty demonstration, which they try to perform in time with South Korean military displays, has found them enemies at all turns.
From Japan Times:
“After completing an analysis and assessment of the North’s missile tests, the government will likely come out with a much tougher countermeasure with regards to such issues as suspending the North’s membership in the U.N.,” the Yonhap news agency quoted an anonymous South Korean government official as saying.
The test could also add momentum to calls by U.S. lawmakers to return Pyongyang to a list of state sponsors of terrorism.
Monday’s barrage came as Pyongyang continues to show off its advances in nuclear weapons and missile technology. Less than three weeks ago, the North defiantly test-fired a new type of medium-range missile that is believed to use solid fuel. The launch came during Abe’s first summit talks with U.S. President Donald Trump.
Experts say solid-fueled missiles represent more of a threat than their liquid-fueled counterparts as they requires less preparation time.
There has been growing speculation that the North will conduct an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) test after Kim Jong Un used a New Year’s Day address to claim that Pyongyang was in the final stages of developing a long-range missile capable of hitting New York and Washington. South Korea’s military said Monday that none of Monday’s missiles appeared to have been ICBMs. Experts agreed, saying that the launch appeared to be similar to ones conducted last year.