Michigan police are in the process of investigating the death of a three-week-old baby, who was mauled to death by the family’s dogs while left unsupervised by mother and grandmother.
The family of the baby says they left her alone for a second, to see who was at the door. When the mother came back, she saw the baby’s face covered in blood, and a dog behind her.
The baby was taken to the hospital and underwent extensive surgeries, but doctors were unable to save her. The three-week-old died later that day.
“This a very, very tragic situation,” said Sgt. Terry Dixon of the Grand Rapids Police Department. Dixon later added: “This is a horrible tragedy and serves as a critical reminder to never leave a child unattended around a dog or dogs or cats. Always keep a watchful eye on vulnerable youth, and that’s what makes this difficult to report on.”
According to KSAT, there were three pit bulls in the home at the time. They have all since been quarantined at a local animal shelter following the attack.
“The breed of a pit bull, by itself, is not enough to condemn it; any dog can bite,” Dixon said. “This serves as a critical reminder to never leave a child unattended around a dog.”
Grand Rapids police said that nobody has been charged in the case, but that officers will be discussing the case with the prosecutor’s office to determine if any charges are warranted.
Readers shared their thoughts on the heartbreaking story on the MommyPage Facebook page.
“You can never ever trust a dog or cat to be alone with a small baby or child wether it is ten seconds or five minutes,” one user commented. “The mother could have picked the glider up and took it with her.”
“The parents should go to jail for child endangerment knowing they have an animal in their home and leaving that poor baby alone. Come on people u gotta think man,” another user wrote.
“Oh come on ppl! Those parents did nothing wrong unless the knew the dog had a history of being aggressive,” another reader commented. “I have 3 kids and don’t think twice about leaving them in the house while I check the mail, which takes just about as much time as these parents were away from that baby for. It’s not like they left the baby on the floor for the dog. She was in a glider and at 3 weeks old that is plenty safe enough spot to step away for 5 minutes. It’s a very sad unfortunate accident that happened and nothing more.”