Christian Johnston, a Missouri babysitter, was arrested for child abuse and negligence, after the mom of the child she was supposed to be watching came home and noticed something different about her baby.
The baby had gauze and socks on his hands and feet, and began to scream as his parents picked him up from the babysitter’s house. Johnston tried to tell the parents that the child had burned himself accidentally while reaching for a bowl of ramen.
They immediately rushed the child to the hospital, where they were told by doctors and nurses that his injuries were not indicative of a “ramen” burn.
“Once we got there, right away, you could tell the doctors, they were like, ‘yeah, we see ramen noodle burns all the time. This is not indicative of a ramen noodle burn,’” the boy’s father, Anthony Di Domenico, told WDAF. “It’s solely on his wrists, fully submerged and his hands, both hands, perfect lines where the burns stop.”
The parents said that their son might have to have skin taken from his thighs to replace the dead skin on the back of his hands.
“He knows he’s got ‘owies.’ He wants to go home so bad. He’s going stir crazy in there,” his mother, Hailey Mitchell, said.
Johnston, Mitchell said, has been taking care of her three children for nearly a year.
“I’m very angry. I’m hurt. I had full, complete trust with her. I never thought anything like this would happen.”
When police questioned Johnston about the incident at her home, they asked her to show them where the accident with the noodles occurred. She explained that the bowl was on the kitchen table in the dining room, and that she assumed the boy reached for the bowl and caused it to tip and spill on the floor. Authorities, however, found no evidence that the bowl of noodles was spilled – as the dirt on the ground did not indicate any recent cleaning.
Johnston was arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child in the first degree. Bond was set at $30,000.