Sandy Hook Promise, an organization that was created in memory of the 20 students and six staff members who were massacred in the 2012 school shooting in Newton, Connecticut, announced that they have fired Megyn Kelly from hosting their gala this year.
Kelly has insisted on interviewing InfoWars’ Alex Jones, who offended families of victims when he told the world that Sandy Hook was a government conspiracy.
The group makes the announcement just two days before Kelly was scheduled to host the event. Kelly planned to run the segments of her hosting the events along with her interview with Jones.
The Daily Mail reports:
Megyn Kelly is continuing to feel the heat over her decision to interview InfoWars’ host Alex Jones for her Sunday news magazine this week.
Sandy Hook Promise, an organization that was created in memory of the 20 students and six staff members who were massacred in the 2012 school shooting in Newton, Connecticut, announced on Monday that Kelly would no longer host one of their annual Promise Champions Gala,
That announcement came just two days before Kelly was set to take the stage at the event on Wednesday night in Washington DC.
The decision made by the non-profit organization also leaves Kelly with a big gap in her episode that will be airing this Sunday, as she planned to film the gala to run alongside her interview with Jones.
That plan went up in smoke however when she managed to draw the ire of Sandy Hook parents, who lashed out loud and quick as they attacked Kelly for allowing Jones’ ideas to be heard by her audience of 6million.
Kelly has yet to comment on this latest development, and NBC declined a request to comment.
‘Sandy Hook Promise cannot support the decision by Megyn or NBC to give any form of voice or platform to Alex Jones and have asked Megyn Kelly to step down as our Promise Champion Gala host,’ said Nicole Hockley, co-Founder and Managing Director of Sandy Hook Promise, in a statement.
‘It is our hope that Megyn and NBC reconsider and not broadcast this interview.’
That statement came after family members and friends of the victims in Newtown, Connecticut took to social media on Monday and implored Kelly to not air the interview.
Their outcry was over comments made by Jones in the wake of the deadly shooting, which he continues to share almost five years later despite a lack of substantive proof backing up his outlandish theory.
Jones initially argued that the government was behind the murders, but later amended that conspiracy to say that there were no deaths at Sandy Hook and the victims were played by child actors.
On Monday, he changed that stance again, telling InfoWars’ listeners that he now believes Sandy Hook did happen, and that children died there.
He claimed that his remarks to that effect had been edited from the promotional clip, and added: ‘I’m tired of being misrepresented.’
JP Morgan Chase also pulled its advertising from Kelly’s upcoming episode featuring the right-wing conspiracy theorist, that is still scheduled to air at 7/6pm central on NBC this Sunday..