A group of New Yorkers is being hospitalized after all 22 of them had smoked a bad batch of synthetic marijuana, or K2.
Residents of Brooklyn who witnessed the scene said that it was like something out of a horror movie. Pictures show people passed out and laying on the street. The street is filled with vomit and refuse.
“It was like a scene out of ‘The Walking Dead,'” Brian Arthur, 38, told the newspaper. “They were zombied out.”
Police had to go up and down that avenue, and all together were able to collect and help 22 individuals who were suffering from this poisoning.
Authorities responded to a call about people with “altered mental status” at around 9:40 a.m., according to officials. Paramedics and police reportedly found 22 semi-conscious people spread throughout different areas along Bushwick and Bedford-Stuyvesant.
“It was a horrible scene,” Arthur said. “They were laid out twitching on the floor. Some of them were motionless. This is nothing you’d want your kids to see.”
Chris Yadron, executive director of the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation, said a bad batch of K2 was likely the cause. Little bags labeled “White Tiger” and “Dank” – the street names for the drug – were reportedly found scattered throughout the area.
“If that many people are going to the hospital, it’s probably pretty indicative of something pretty toxic,” Yadron told the NY Daily News.
One woman was reportedly found with her eyes rolled back in her head. One man was found vomiting on the sidewalk with his pants down. Another looked like he was sleepwalking as police escorted him into an ambulance.
The people were taken to Woodhull Hospital and Wyckoff Heights Medical Center.
Locals said the drug has been affecting the area for years now. Some residents have even posted “No Smoking K2” signs in the area.