After coming to office, Philippines President Duterte launched a fierce and bloody “Shoot to Kill” initiative on drug dealers. After more than 8,000 deaths, and a lot of international condemnation, is Duterte about to give up his campaign?
As reported in the Daily Caller:
The head of the Philippines police announced Monday that the war on drugs will be less bloody, “or even bloodless,” moving forward.
The police appear to be turning over a new leaf following international criticisms of the war on drugs that has ended the lives of over 8,000 people. Many of the deaths are believed to be the results of extrajudicial killings carried out by rogue police and vigilantes.
In late January, Duterte called a halt to the program in response o Human Rights organizations applying international pressure, but after an immediate resurgence in drug crime, he reinstated the program last week.
Police Chief, Ronald Dela Rosa said:
“The war on drugs is on, and this time, it is going to be more extensive, aggressive, and well-coordinated, with built-in systems that guarantee full accountability and instill internal discipline among all personnel,” dela Rosa added.
Human Rights Watch, an international watchdog, said last Thursday that Duterte had launched a “campaign of extrajudicial execution” and may be guilty of “crimes against humanity.”
Duterte responded that there is no humanity to speak of when referring to drug suspects.