An Iowa couple issued an urgent warning after their 18-day-old daughter died of a herpes infection she contracted through a kiss, Daily Mail reports.
Shane and Nicole Sifrit got married just days after having a baby, Mariana.
Just two hours after the wedding, the couple had to rush Mariana to the hospital.
Nicole Sifrit said that doctors ran out of options to try to save Mariana’s life and the girl died in her father’s arms.
“She is now no longer suffering and is with the Lord,” Nicole wrote on Facebook. “In her 18 days of life she made a huge impact on the world and we hope with Mariana’s Story we save numerous newborns life. R.I.P. sweet angel.”
The couple told WQAD that Mariana was infected with meningitis HSV-1, caused by the herpes virus.
Both parents tested negative for the virus.
More, via WQAD:
Doctors say she likely got it from a kiss, from someone who carries the cold sore virus but not necessarily through an open sore.
“They touch her, and then she touches her mouth with her hand,” Nicole explains. That’s why doctors say diseases spread quickly in babies.
They warn other new parents to “keep your babies isolated, don’t let just anyone come visit them, and make sure they are constantly washing their hands. Don’t let people kiss your baby, and make sure they ask before they pick up your baby.”