One couple is now raising awareness to help other parents avoid the horror that they went through when their 2-year-old toddler daughter, choked on a popcorn kernel and suffering from severe brain damage that eventually led to her untimely death, after suffering on life support for several month.
An absolutely horrifying way for a small child to die. Her parents noticed she was choking right away and got medical help as quickly as they could, but it was already too late for 2-year-old Mirranda Grace Lawson.
American Academy of Pediatrics says popcorn is one of the most hazardous foods for children, and that children under 3 should not be eating popcorn at all. The organization in fact says that popcorn, grapes, and hotdogs are the top foods for children to choke on. They should not be fed to children until they are at least 5-year-old.
The couple now wants to share this information as much as possible, and help prevent unnecessary deaths like Marranda’s.
AmericaNow.com also finds:
On a GoFundMe page started by a relative, Mirranda’s family wrote about the dangers of children ingesting foods that can be a choking hazard.
“This was all caused by a piece of popcorn,” the GoFundMe page reads. “Please share the danger of popcorn, someone may not know.”
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, choking is a leading cause of death for children under the age of three. The organization states that popcorn, grapes, and hot dogs are among the most common foods that cause children to choke. The AAP suggests that children do not eat those foods until the age of five.
The Mayo Clinic recommends that parents speak to childcare professionals about the appropriate ages to introduce certain foods to children. They also suggest that parents not let their children walk or run while eating. Foods should also be cut up into chewable pieces.