Bizarre food story out of where else but Asia. Peng Fan, a Chinese chef, was cutting up an Indochinese spitting cobra, which makes for a delicatessen of a soup apparently. He severed the snake’s head, like you’re supposed to do.
That’s when he got the shock of a lifetime. As he went to throw out the severed head, it bit him. He died 20 minutes later from the venom.
According to authorities, Fan was just unlucky. He didn’t dispose of the head properly, as apparently the reptile’s head can keep functioning for over an hour. He also didn’t get help quick enough. The hospital does have an anti-venom for these situations.
The Sun also found:
The Indochinese spitting cobra – or Naja siamensis – is also known as the Thai or black and white spitting cobra.
It’s found in south east Asian countries including Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Thailand and Vietnam.
Adults average 3ft to 3.9ft long but can reach a maximum of 5ft, and are found in lowlands, hills, plains, woodland and jungle. It mainly feeds on rodents, toads, and other snakes.
Primarily nocturnal, it is more likely to flee when threatened during daylight. At night it becomes more aggressive, display its hood and spit out venom.
Death is caused by paralysis and consequent asphyxiation, but even if the snake only spits venom in a victim’s eyes they can be permanently blinded.