A UK mom was shocked when suddenly, after snack time, her 8-year-old daughter began vomiting and fainting.
When Lissa Melin’s 8-year-old daughter, Dionne, fell ill, Melin sprang into action. Immediately suspecting the banana, Melin grabbed a piece: and sure enough, there were long, dark red streaks along the inside of the banana.
It turned out the banana contained the fungus Nigrospora in its core.
Terrified, she quickly rushed her daughter to hospital.
Luckily, the fungus doesn’t cause any lasting harm — and any discomfort may be psychosomatic — in the child’s head. The child was discharged and fully recovered from the incident.
Lissa is still concerned.
“Another friend said she also found one of these not long ago from Morrisons,” she said. “Maybe Morrisons need to do some more vigorous checking so children — or anyone for this matter — doesn’t eat one again.”
Lissa and her friends are not the only ones to have stumbled upon a banana with a red center.
“As I unpeeled the skin of my favorite fruit, I was slightly concerned about red veins that seemed to be running throughout,” recalls Liverpool Echo writer Gemma Jaleel about a banana she bought from Lidl, a European discount supermarket chain. “It was like nothing I’d ever seen before and very cautiously I decided to back away from the banana.”
Morrisons and Lidl have since responded to concerns over the red fruits.
“We are sorry for Mrs. Melin’s daughter’s distress,” said a Morrisons representative. “This product did not meet our strict quality standards. However, we would like to assure her that it is a naturally occurring mold which is not harmful to humans.”
Despite the reassurances, some are still worried.
Though the child is now making a full recovery, the child’s initial state after eating the banana terrified parents all over the world.