One father took to the internet to warn other parents about the dangers of fidget spinners, when you don’t follow instructions and use them properly.
The father and his soon saw a YouTube video showing them a way to make the fidget spinner go really fast, and decided to try it.
As they did that, the plastic edge exploded and narrowly missed the child’s eyes. The son ended up having to get 30 stitches in his mouth. It was an injury that could have been even worse.
The popular kid’s toy was originally created as a way to help children with anxiety, ADHD, and autism. However, they soon found their way into millions of homes all over the world.
Now, at the height of their popularity, some are beginning to question just how safe the toys are for young children. Some parents have shared horror stories of the toys hurting their children.
According to MommyPage, a father named John Harris shared a Facebook post about a terrifying incident in which a fidget spinner nearly blew up in his son’s face.
Harris had seen videos on YouTube of people using compressed air to make a fidget spinner spin extremely fast. He decided to try this out with his son, but soon regretted it as the toy blew to bits and wounded his son’s face.
The father shared a photo of his son’s injuries and wrote a post explaining what had happened.
“I know this post isn’t gonna be easy for some to look at, but I felt it necessary,” Harris wrote. “This was caused from playing with a fidget spinner and compressed air (air compressor) spraying across it. I was holding the spinner and the air hose when it happened. We had been playing with it for a while and all of a sudden the plastic on the fidget spinner exploded. We are at the ER now waiting to have stitches. I am sharing so no one else has the same stupid idea that I had. We were lucky it missed his eyes. It could have been much worse.”
The pictures went viral, with many parents concerned for their own child’s safety. Posts seemed to agree that it is important to not only supervise your children, but make sure they’re using their toys properly.