Just three days after President Trump’s administration opened the contract bidding process, 180 companies have already registered to bid for the job.
Construction and engineering companies are competing for a design-phase contract, with bids from companies like architecture firm Leo A. Daly, construction firm Caddell and the defence and engineering company Radeon. As well as those giants, smaller or disadvantaged businesses are also submitting proposals, including some minority or veteran owned enterprises.
With the cost of the project estimated to be anywhere between $ 12 to 21 billion, it’s not surprising that so many business are keen to get on board.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) posted the notice online last week. The Daily Caller inquired as to what they are looking for:
“The primary purpose of this effort is to develop design standards for a border wall that may be constructed along the southwest border with Mexico in support of [U.S. border protection] operational requirements,” Carlos Diaz, spokesman for the CBP, told The Daily Caller News Foundation Tuesday.
The designs for the wall will be evaluated based on “operational requirements, cost effectiveness, constructibility, and durability,” Carlos said, adding that “any and all prototypes will be designed to deter illegal entry into the United States.”
The notice so far has been general, with more technical details scheduled to released next week.