A woman in Kansas, Monique Quarles, accidentally burned down her own house this week, after she tried to kill a bug with a lighter, at the request of her daughter.
Quarles told police that her daughter, and two-year-old granddaughter woke her up around 4am, saying they saw a bug in her 3rd floor apartment.
Quarles grabbed her lighter and attempted to kill the bug by lighting it on fire.
The Daily Mail reports:
Monique Quarles said that around 3.45am on Monday her daughter, Ausha and two-year-old granddaughter told her that there was a bug inside their third floor apartment.
‘I found the bug, picked the bug up and I put it in my hand and lit it on fire,’ Quarles told the Topeka Capital-Journal.
Quarles then picked up her mattress to check and see if there were more bugs.
Her daughter found a medium sized bug, she said.
For a second time, she tried to set this bug on fire, but her flip-style lighter ‘started sparking’ and the box spring went up in flames.
‘The sparks just started flying on it and inside of it,’ she said.
They tried to put the fire out themselves using water from the kitchen.
‘By the time I came back, I was really seeing fire in there, so I knew we really shouldn’t keep trying to put it out. I said, ‘Get out — get the baby, call 911.’ And that’s what we did,’ she said.
Quarles said they started knocking on their neighbors’ doors to tell them to get out of the building.
It’s unclear why the woman didn’t kill the bug with a shoe and why she chose to try and light it on fire.
Quarles did not say what type of bugs they were.
It took over 30 firefighters to put out the blaze at the apartment complex.
One firefighter suffered minor smoke inhalation and was transported to a local hospital for treatment.
Another was also transported to the hospital to be treated for heat exhaustion.
The firefighters will recover despite their injuries.
Since Quarles and her daughter raised an alarm in the building, getting many of her neighbors out, no one else was injured in the blaze.
However, Quarles might be responsible in paying for the damages to the building.