A 14-year-old Texas girl died after she was electrocuted while holding a charging phone in the bathtub Sunday, KCBD reports.
Madison Coe’s family told the station that the teen either plugged the phone in to charge or grabbed it while it was charging.
According to her grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, “There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”
“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging.”
Madison had just graduated from the eighth grade and was planning to start high school in Houston, where her family was moving.
“I call her my shining star,” O’Guinn told the station.
“She was very smart, a very good student in school. She just loved life.”
“She was just sweet to everybody and everybody loved her.”
More, via KCBD:
The post about Coe on Facebook continues to be shared, opening up many eyes to the power of electricity, and the danger of plugging in any electrical appliance near water.
“It’s overwhelming to realize that there are people that we don’t even know and we’ll probably never even meet that have taken this message and shared it to protect another child or even an adult. We don’t want to lose anybody,” O’Guinn said.
So as Madison’s family mourns her loss, they have hope that this message will resonate with anyone who hears it.
It’s the positivity she always carried with her, continuing to make a difference in the world.
“We need to be aware. We need to teach our children that electricity and water do not mix,” O’Guinn said. “She’s just going to be greatly missed by all of us. She has a special place in my heart.”