Michigan police are investigating a mother’s discovery of a Xanax pill in a plastic Easter egg that her daughter found during a pre-school Easter egg hunt.
According to police, every pre-schooler had to bring in seven plastic eggs with candy. When Amber Pruchniewski’s four-year-old daughter returned home with several eggs, the mother was shocked to discover a generic Xanax pill mixed with jelly beans in one of the eggs.
Pruchniewski says “She had brought a couple of the eggs in the house with her. We’re opening them up and going through them and we noticed this little white thing. I picked it up; I thought it was some kinda weird candy, and it turned out to be a pill. So I Googled it to see what it was and it turned out to be a generic Xanax.”
Pruchniewski says “I just want to know who did it – it’s careless.”
According to Police Chief Donald Glandon, the incident was “intentional and criminal” though the police don’t yet have a suspect.
Glandon adds “I’m not an expert in it by any imagination, but you would think, just for body weight, any adult-size pill of any type of prescription drug could cause harm to a smaller child like that. We’re all just fortunate, along with the parent and the child, that nothing happened; that she didn’t take the pill or eat the pill, thinking it was candy or anything. It was something that could have turned into a tragic situation that was avoided.”
John Kment, the Superintendent of Roseville Community Schools, says no one else reported finding anything unusual in their eggs.