Mayor Bloomberg cites a statistic that says:
- # of smoking deaths are going down
- # of obesity deaths are going up
- soon obesity deaths will outnumber smoking deaths
To a Liberal, this means we need to have a war on food. Liberals feel that every social ill has a solution that resides in Government. What they don’t realize is that it comes with disastrous unintended consequences.
Consider Bloomberg’s proposal to ban the sale of soda in restaurants and movie theaters. Soda sales are a good source of profit for restaurants. When you consider the low margins for restaurants and the weak economy… this is going to have disastrous side effect that are yet to be determined.
Here are a couple of scenarios that I came up with. If you have your own, please share in the comments below.
- Restaurants lose sales because they are no longer able to sell the more expensive bulk sodas.
- Restaurants increase the price of their sodas. Customers think "Why do I want to spend so much for a little amount of soda?" and may push customers, in a bad economy, to not buy soda when they go to the store.
- Increased demand at grocery stores / convenient stores for sodas would result in higher prices.
- Consumers will spend more for their soda by buying multiple quantities.
- Restaurants with cups of a size greater than 16 ounces are forced to trash the useless cups they have and spend their money to buy new ones.
I do not approve of the nanny state telling me what I can or cannot eat.