This is a video from 2010 of the House Republican Conference held in Baltimore. The sound and video do not seem to be in sync but because it was posted by the Youtube user name: RepPaulRyan which I assume to Paul Ryan’s official page, I embedded it here.
Paul Ryan makes the case that:
- Discretionary spending under Obama increased 84%.
- "we could do more and start now"
- He drafted a Constitutional version of the line-item veto that cannot get to the floor for vote.
Obama does the following:
- Blames Bush by saying these were all promised "before I was sworn into office" even though Paul Ryan only spoke of the "discretionary spending" in bills put forth by the Democratic Congress.
- "I would love for Congress to show some discipline."
- "I would like to work on earmarks reform .. in terms of putting earmarks online because I think sunshine is the best disinfectant."
- "I am willing to have a serious conversation on the line item veto issue."
He answered the wrong question in #1. And instead of talking about what he could do to alleviate the budget problem, he passed on the blame to another.
In #2, again, passing on more of the blame to Congress.
#3. He never did this.
#4. Never seen any progress on this issue.
When pressed on the discretionary spending, Obama punts for later.