There has been a lot of uproar from the Conservative community against the the birth control mandate in Obamacare. Here are five reasons to not ‘LIKE’ it.
1. Religious Liberty. Some religious organizations have a problem with birth control. They do not want to be forced into paying for it on religious grounds.
2. Fixing a problem that does not exist. If you have a job good enough to get health care insurance provided by your employer, then you have the money to pay for your own birth control. The problem is not access nor cost for these women which makes this is a moot point. The women who do not have insurance are not helped in any way since they do not have insurance to provide this product to them for free.
3. Prices will rise for those that do not have insurance. The price of birth control as it stands already takes into account normal supply and demand levels. But by making birth control free, the consumer is no longer driven by price. That will cause the manufacturers to focus on higher quality and more expensive products that will push the cheaper options out of the market. Women without insurance will then be forced to pay more out of pocket.
4. Encouraging the wrong behavior. The government should not be encouraging this kind of behavior in women.
5. Insurance premiums for women will go up. Insurance should be used for expensive care that is not likely to happen. But birth control is something that is highly likely to be used. This will drive up the price of all premiums for women. Worse is the fact that employers will be forced to pay for this premium hike and will ultimately pay women less for it. Or worse, discriminate against them entirely because of the higher premiums.