It is estimated that on average a single child dies every two weeks when a TV, piece of over-sized furniture or appliance falls over. The following is a reminder that falling furniture may be a hidden danger in your own home.
Two-year-old twin brothers from Utah, Broch and Bowdy Shoff, were playing in their bedroom when a dresser tipped over. While Bowdy was trapped underneath the dresser’s weight, his brother sprang into action. Their mom, Kayli had gone upstairs for a quick second and says she didn’t hear the dresser fall or her son crying, though the home security camera caught what happened on film.
Brock realizes the dresser is too heavy to lift by hand, so he begins pushing it. Incredibly, Bowdy is able to crawl out. Kayli says neither boy sustained injuries and both were playing again when she came back into the room.
The twins’ dad, Ricky, posted the video to Facebook, saying, “I’ve been a little hesitant to post this. But I feel it’s not only to bring awareness, but it is also incredible. We are so grateful for the bond that these twin brothers share. We know Bowdy was not alone in moving the dresser off of Brock, and feel blessed that he is OK. Please make sure all your dressers are bolted and secured to the wall.”
Anti-tip devices are inexpensive, easy to find and easy to install. There are also alternatives should a rental agreement prevent anchoring inside the home.